The sun is shinning, its quite warm(a rarity in England,) and tomorrows mothers day in the UK: So i cannot think of a better time than to bake this. Perfect accompanied with a full afternoon tea, or simply just a cup of tea and a good book( addicted to the divergent series at the moment!).
To make this into a round cake; i would double the recipe and split it into two round cake tins.I would then have a middle layer of lemon curd, and a layer of lemon butter cream. Then a round of lemon butter cream on top, and finished with crystallised lemon rind.
125g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
1 tbsp lemon curd
2 1/2 tbsp milk
for the drizzle
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2tbsp granulated sugar
1. preheat oven to 180°. butter and line loaf tin.
2.beat butter and sugar in a bowl, until very light and fluffy.
3. add flour, baking powder, eggs, lemon curd and milk. mix until all combined.
4. pop in prepared tin, and bake for 40- 45 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
5. meanwhile, mix the lemon and sugar together.
6. when the cake is cooked, take out and pour lemon and sugar mix on top, while its still hot.
7. leave to cool completely, then slice and enjoy.